Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

Who is St. Patrick anyway?

Who is St. Patrick anyway? Well, it is said that he lived around 432-461 A.D. in Scotland. All was fine and normal for Patrick until he was kidnapped by pirates and sold as a slave to work in Ireland. He was probably more concerned about which job to take and which girl to marry when his world was suddenly changed. It is believed that he was about the age of sixteen when, as a slave, he worked as a shepherd and turned to Grandfather’s religion for peace. He knew of Christ. He knew the gospel, the good news- Christ has paid the penalty for our sins and we have this FREE gift through Him. We must only believe, repent, and follow Christ. So, having turned to Christ, it is said that he spent his six years in bondage ….. Pray. I imagine his prayers were like this, “Lord, I know you. Please have mercy. Release me. I want to make a difference for you. I can’t in slavery. Lord, please save me from this situation. So, after six years of praying, God gave him a dream that told him how to escape. He was successful in running away and returned home to Scotland. After telling his family and friends what happened to him and that He is a changed man, young 22 year old Patrick decided to become a priest. For another fifteen years or so, he preached to his own people. Then, around the age of 40, St. Patrick was called by God to go back to Ireland. This decision was made after dreaming that the Irish people were calling him, yelling at him, “Please, please tell us about Christ.” Although there were already some Christians living in Ireland, St. Patrick was able to bring upon a massive religious shift to Christianity by converting people of influence. St. Patrick was credited to converting the nobles, so other people followed their conversion. St. Patrick helped form monasteries and churches throughout Ireland. St. Patrick also brought written word to Ireland so that the new believers could study about Christ. Previously, history was passed down from memory, just an oral traditional tale. St. Patrick was there for over 30 years. The very people that enslaved him…he sought to set free!

Psalm 118:5 In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. (NIV)

Psalm 119:32 I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free. (NIV)

Psalm 119:45 I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts. (NIV)

Luke 4:18-19  The Spirit of the Lord is on me,  because he has anointed me so preach good news to the poor.  He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners  and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed,  to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor. (NIV)

John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. (NIV)

John 8:36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. (NIV)

2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. (NIV)

Galatians 5:1

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. (NIV)

Ephesians 3:12 In him [Christ] and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. (NIV)

One of the hardest things St. Patrick had trouble explaining is…how is God “three in one.” He used the shamrock to explain how God is three in one. God is one, but shows himself in three ways. Christ, the Holy Spirit, God –the Father. The people could see the shamrock had three pieces but was one WHOLE. This is why the shamrock is associated with St.Patrick’s Day. St. Patrick never was an official saint through the Catholic Church, but it is told he was credited with certain miracles: raising the dead, healing the sick, and chasing all of the snakes out of Ireland. To this day, there are no snakes in Ireland.

So, how do we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in America? Some places hold St. Patrick’s Day parades. Some areas color their rivers green. Some color their beer drinks green. Most wear green. It is a tradition that..if you are caught ..NOT wearing green, everyone gets to pinch you. I suppose to teach you a lesson: not to forget St. Patrick or..not to be a sour puss and to celebrate!
Go put on your Green!

Rachel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship