Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

Is God the God of "the last minute"?


Why is it that God seems to like to wait until the last minute to come through? Does He enjoy tormenting us or is it really for our own good? I have thought about this all week. I have discussed this with my husband, my small group, and a few friends here and there. There were times throughout my life and my friends’ lives where He does seem to say yes or make a way at the last minute? But why? Does He enjoy tormenting us? NO! What He does enjoy is seeing the faith His children have in Him and rewarding those who honestly seek Him and want to have their faith increased. Abraham is an excellent example of this. In Genesis 22:1, we see that “after these things, God tested Abraham”. Note..He did not tempt Abraham, but tested him. Why? Well, in Exodus 20:20, Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid; for God has come in order to test you and in order that they fear of Him may remain with you, so that you may not sin." I think if God gave me quick answers to my prayers...I might not “remain in Him." I might be tempted to put on my junior God pin again. Ok..another clue... in Deut. 8:2...it says “and you shall remember all the way which the LORD your God has led you in the wilderness these 40 years, that He might humble you, test you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not”. In Deut. 8:16, it says “In the wilderness He fed you manna which your father did not know , that He might humble you and that He might test you, to do good for you in the end”. Review--- 1. To humble us 2. to know our heart 3. For our good.
Do you want to see it in the NEW testament? 1 Peter 1: 6-7 says In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.
James 1:2-4 says 2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Back to Abraham, where God seems to save Isaac’s life..at the last minute.. God did not want Isaac’s life, but wanted Abraham’s heart.
As Jehovah Jireh, God can and will provide what we need, when we need it..and in His timing! His “delay” is not out of spite..or for fun. With Abraham, and with us, God is doing a deep surgery within our hearts.
We need to look at the “when- are- you -coming -through” moments… as one of the greatest times of opportunity to grow in intimacy and trust in your Jehovah Jireh (provider). If you take your needs to Him, you will learn God’s character like never before. It would be contrary to His nature not to provide for and protect you when you ask. He wants to show you who He is. And yes...sometimes ...He wants to become real to you .......through last minute miracles.
Yesterday, one of my friends received a call that the Georgia legislature was looking at a law that would require a homestudy to be in place before a family could have a child in their home long term. This sounds like a great idea, until you realize that my friend (a sweet believing mom) could not have instantly taken custody of 3 of her children. One came to her with diaper rash so bad..it was bleeding (neglect). One had physical abuse issues, that would have gone on for months longer...if she had to chase this paper trail. She found out about this bill..at the last minute (yesterday) and prepared in a few hours to talk to our government officials. Why did God not give her heads up...several weeks or months ago? I do not know...perhaps because she was forced to complete LEAN on Him... this is what I do know...
Real faith is not believing in spite of the evidence but obeying in spite of the consequences.

Comments

  1. What a great post, Rachel! And so timely for us. As we haven't sold our GA house yet, we have been asking lately, "Why not?" "Were we not supposed to move up here like we thought we were?" At the same time, I have had much more calm and peace than I ever have had with stressful situations like this, so maybe that is the area where God is working on me. Thanks for all of the words of wisdom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katie! I pray your house sells quickly! I love the photos on your blog! What a talent..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship