Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

Flaming the fire of our Marriage...

We have been married for over more than  half of my life.  Soon, we will celebrate our 23rd wedding anniversary.  I know him so well... I know when he is angry even though he says nothing and tries to hide it.  I know when he is concerned about something ..without any verbal confirmation.  I can see when he has real joy..and when he is just going along for me.   Since he is the quiet, logical type.. and I am the loud, creative type, disagreements and not always enjoying what the other person enjoys ..just goes with the territory.   However, Russell and I are genuinely crazy about each other.  Anyone who knows us would say the same.  How after all of this time is this true?  We have stresses just like any one else. There is a budget that we must abide by.  There are things we long for but don't have. There are things we have..and don't want (like a child with medical issues and  various family members with  serious  hurts that effect us).   We have to work, have to clean the continuously messy house.    We don't get to go out very often..just the two of us.  We  have daily times we have to compromise with each other so it is rare that we both get our way.    So, with the stresses, with the hurt feelings, with the "I don't get my way" times..how do we still not only like each other, but actually LOVE each other?    Lots of Grace!  God have been so good to us.  I am thankful that He has given us a heart bent towards giving grace to each other.   After 22 years, we know that each of us needs grace from the other.  There has been times I have hurt him and times he has hurt me.  That builds in humility.  Humilty in a marriage goes a long way.

Another thing that helps us... going back to 1986 .when I first met him... Thinking about those first dates.  Thinking about getting to know him.  Listening to songs from our dating years.    ..   Thinking about a mulitude of sweet memories... one being when he asked me to marry him.  He took me and his mom to go see CATS at the Fox Theater.   (Now, before you dog him for taking me on a date with him mom.... you have to know that I love his mom... I wanted her to go).   It was so late when we arrived back from Atlanta to Byron, that I stayed at his mom's house.   He was concerned that a family member was going to tell me about "the ring"... so he took no chances.     While I was sleeping on her couch, he came in ..around 1 am or so and  woke me up.   He got down on one knee and he asked  me to marry him.     So,  I think about the times when things were brand new for us.... it helps...especially when  I have those times that I feel that I have to FIGHT for my marriage.  ...those moments when he isn't my favorite person. (You know those times are rare, Russ).    Thinking about the times I have messed up..helps me forgive my spouse when he messes up.   Marriages are always worth fighting for...

Comments

  1. SWEET!!! Total tears! At your words and the video. Happy Anniversary to come. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship