Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

Being examples to the flock


Here is a painting I just finished today.   Sheep?  Of all the animals, God choose to liken us ...he choose  sheep.  I for one think they are really cute, but you can read my post here  to see a study I did on "why sheep"
http://inhonoroftheking.blogspot.com/2011/04/why-does-god-call-us-sheep.html

Today, I really thought about 1 Peter 5: 2-3.   This week has been hard... things I can't blog openly about. .. It boils down to seeing "hurt people" hurt people and themselves.  What I feel has to be a very small taste of how God grieves for us.

1 Peter 5
To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder, a witness of Christ’s sufferings and one who also will share in the glory to be revealed: 2 Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, serving as overseers—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; 3 not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. 4 And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.
5 Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
“God opposes the proud  but gives grace to the humble.”[a]

6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

8 Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9 Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 11 To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.

It is obvious that Paul wrote this to the male leaders/ elders of the Church, so how does this apply to an at best- average mom?  Just like we tell people vs. 6-9 so they can apply it to their lives.. .. male or female.  ... we can apply these other verses to all of us as well.   We are all called to  "be examples to the flock"...   Examples to the other moms  watching us...  Examples for our children....  Examples for the stranger that sees us interact with our children....  Examples for our friends'  other friends.  We will be imperfect examples but we continue to be obedient through the sanctification process.   We need to be eager to serve... not lording over whatever God has entrusted to us...  What is entrusted to  us?  Entrusted to us-  the Holy Spirit, the knowledge of knowing who He is....  our children ........all the way down to the temporal blessings.... a house...... a job.... ..etc...

Perfect?  Far from it... but desiring to be eager to serve...even when things don't turn out like I think they should in my fairytale-ending world.    However, I sit here thankful that I have a SHEPHERD...much wiser than myself..  He is Holy and Kind...


Comments

  1. That is too wild!!! What a confirmation that God is using that verse 1 Peter 5:7 (and other verses) to minister. I am just now reading this blog after the email exchange we had. Amazing!!! What a great God we have!
    Thanks for sharing your wisdom and the Scriptures. It is convicting to think of the examples we are. So glad God showers our mistakes in the water of His grace and mercy. Even with our many faults, at least our kids can see the example of where we go to be cleansed and refreshed. :)
    Much love!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship