Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

All about Cookie Swaps!


Last night I went to one of my favorite Christmas time traditions..with a practical side…a cookie swap.

A cookie swap is when friends come together to visit, catch up, sip on hot tea, and swap cookies.  What do I mean by “swap cookies”?  Each friend bakes a batch of his/her favorite cookie, places two cookies into a sandwich bag for each person attending the swap, and attaches the recipe for that cookie to the baggie.  After visiting for awhile, eating a few treats as we talk, each attendee of the cookie swap takes a large bag, box, or basket and gets one set (two or three cookies per baggie) of each person that attended.  You come with 60 of the same kind of cookie…and leave with 60 different kinds of cookies.

Why do this?  It provides you with a wonderful sampling of homemade goodies for your Christmas guests.   It saves you time…who has time to cook more than one kind of cookie?   You  gather new recipes AFTER you try the cookie to see if you like it.   AND, most important of all, …it is just plain fun…

How do you host your own cookie swap?  You use EVITE or FACEBOOK to send out invitations.  You DO want to invite double the people you feel you can accommodate, as not everyone will be able to attend, due to the busy time of year.  Ask each visitor to bring their favorite cookie recipe and cookies…for swapping.  (We prepackage ours into groups of 2 or 3 in baggies..to make it easier).    Then,  prepare hot tea, coffee, a cake, or some kind of finger food for your guests…. Have fun!


ps. Here is the recipe I shared...
Gluten free-coco cookies.. Ingredients
·      3 cups confectioners' sugar
·      3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder (spooned and leveled)
·      1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
·      5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
·      1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (or other type of nut)
·      4 large egg whites, room temperature
Directions- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa, and salt. Stir in chocolate and pecans. Add egg whites and stir just until incorporated (Do not over mix).
Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls, 3 inches apart, onto two parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets. Bake until cookie tops are dry and crackled, about 25 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer sheets to wire racks and let cookies cool completely. (To store, keep in an airtight container, up to 3 days.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship