Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

part 2 ..Holding on to Hope


I don't know about you but I am often so hurt by the hurt God allows that I don't want to talk to Him... but where does that really leave me? On my own, I have no truth, no real truth...that can take away the despair. Anyone can mask pain with over eating, over drinking, over spending, over sleeping, etc. There is no lasting comfort apart from God. I have to remember that if God required such intense suffering of His own perfect son..whom He loved... to accomplish a holy purpose, He has a purpose for you and me in our pain. Of course the Bible tells what that purpose is.... to make us look like Christ. I had someone relay a story to me of a conversation they had with a woodcarver. The carver was creating a duck out of a block of wood. The person said, "How do you do that?" The artist said, "It is easy...I take everything off that doesn't look like a duck". That is what God is doing with us. He is taking everything off of us that doesn't look like Jesus. The pain...the darkness ...it isn't fun. It is scary, but it is less scary when we truly believe we have a Loving Father..holding our hand in the dark and ........when we believe it isn't darkness to Him. Psalm 139: 12 says..."even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you." Guthrie says we need not ask "why?"...but "for what purpose?" Our why will often not be answered until the life to come in the presence of God. So we must hold on to truth.
2 Corinthians 4: 16-18 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal....
Thankful to the ONE that holds my hand in the dark,
Rachel
(The picture is of Madeline, John-Michael, and Noah holding a "heavy" and delicious grapefruit). They are hams..just like their mom.

Comments

  1. What beautiful, honest, open posts--both this one and Part 1!! I love the woodcarver illustration! Praying for you guys!

    (I love the expression on John-Michael's face in the photo!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship