Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

Apple Dolls... Using the children's book- The Apple Doll

Here is MVP's finished doll..
A couple of weeks ago we read this book, The Apple Doll by  Elisa Kleven.  We followed the directions in her book to make two apple dolls, one for Madeline and one for John-Michael.  Here is what we did...and here is how they turned out...
1. With the help of an adult, carefully peel your apple
2. Carve out the shape you want your doll's nose to be.3.Use a dull knife to poke holes or cut slits into your apple for eyes.  ..and carve the mouth. 
4. Put lemon juice into a coffee mug and dissolve a tablespoon of salt into it.  Soak the apple into the mixture for half an hour. The apple will bob to the top of the juice, so you must put another heavy  object (we used a small juice glass)..to keep the apple down into the juice.
5. We dried our apples for 2 weeks...in a bright window.  I kept the air circulation around the apple by poking 10 or so toothpicks into the bottom of the apple so it would have all areas  off the table...so it could dry completely. You can pinch and mold the apple's face as it dries. It will shrink alot...and become wrinkled looking.  When the apple head feels spongy and leathery....it is done.6. To form the body, carefully poke a hole into the bottom of the apple with a skewer. Then, insert a pipe cleaner or small dowel into the hole.For extra sturdiness, you can poke a hole through the entire apple, bend a pipe cleaner in half, and insert it all the way through the apple. Begin to twist other pipe cleaners around the first one, to form the apple doll’s middle.   OR>... you can use lots of duct tape to make their forms more full  (that's what we did)..Fasten other pipe cleaners to the middle to form arms and legs, hands and feet.
7. Glue yarn or cotton to make hair.  Put dabs of glue in the doll's eye sockets and insert a little bead for eyes.  Use pink marker to make Rosy cheeks.
8. Dress your apple- With pipe cleaners..form legs and arms...Use scrap material to make clothes..Your doll will last for months..........if you keep it in a dry place.
John-Michael made his doll into a "Link" doll from the video game Zelda.
Madeline's doll is like Princess Buttercup from the movie, The Princess Bride.... one of her favorites.
Close up View of John-Michael's doll or action figure...LOL>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship