Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

What is my purpose in life?


Why are we here?  What is the use? What is a person's purpose in life? We can decide the answers to these questions based on our past experiences and emotions, or on what God says.  As a person who knows Jesus came to earth to pay the penalty for my sins, rose from the dead, and now reigns at God's right hand, I know God's word is true. His Holy Spirit has revealed it over and over in the twenty years I have known Him.

Look at Luke 1:39-56.  Mary just was visited by the angel telling her she is expecting a baby... Jesus.


 3At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea,(A) 40 where she entered Zechariah’s home and greeted Elizabeth.
 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.(B)
42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women,(C) and blessed is the child you will bear! 43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord(D) should come to me?
44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45 Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”

Mary’s Song(E) 46 And Mary said:

“My soul glorifies the Lord(F)
47 
    and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,(G)
48 for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant.(H)
From now on all generations will call me blessed,(
I)
49     for the Mighty One has done great things(J) for me— holy is his name.(K)
50 His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.(L)
51 He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;(M)  he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.(N)
52 He has brought down rulers from their thrones
but has lifted up the humble.(O)
53 He has filled the hungry with good things(P) but has sent the rich away empty.
54 He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful(Q)
55 to Abraham and his descendants(
R) forever,  just as he promised our ancestors.”
56 Mary stayed with Elizabeth for about three months and then returned home.
 What do we learn? She hurried to see the news that the angel told her, that Elizabeth was pregnant.
 God was glorified when the Baby leapt God was glorified when Elizabeth acknowledged Christ in Mary’s womb.

Christ was Magnified when the baby leapt for joy.  Mary glorified the Lord by believing the angel..  

She states her goals: to : Glorifiy the Lord and rejoice In God.

She rejoices that God Used her.

 She rejoices in the great things God has done for her.

She glorifies God for His  Mercy.
 She glorifies God for His mighty deeds.
 She rejoices that he feeds the hungry.
 he rejoices that He helps Israel and in His mercy.

Look at  Luke 1: 46 & 47 again : Mary said “My soul glorifies the Lord(F)
47     and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,(G)    
Here are what the words: SOUL, GLORIFIES, SPIRIT, and Rejoices mean in the original  Greek.

Spirit is the highest, deepest, noblest part of our humanity, the point of contact between God and man.
William Barlclay said, “Christianity is the death of pride. Why? Because if a man sets his life beside that of Christ it tears the last vestiges of pride from him.´This is seen in Mary’s song.  http://www.preceptaustin.org/luke-1-commentary

Rejoiced (Exulted, Jumped for joy) (21)(agalliao from agan = much + hallomai = jump; gush, leap, spring up) means literally to "jump much", "leap for joy", skip and jump with happy excitement and so to be exceedingly joyful, overjoyed or exuberantly happy. The idea is Mary demonstrated her excessive, ecstatic joy by leaping and skipping (if not literally certainly feeling like it!).  
Barclay writes that agalliao "is the joy which leaps for joy. As it has been put, it is the joy of the climber who has reached the summit, and who leaps for joy that the mountain path is conquered." https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/dsb/1-peter-1.html#1
 Man's chief end is to glorify God,1 and to enjoy him forever.  Why are we here? To bring God glory and to ENJOY Him.
1 Pet. 4:11. "That God in all things may be glorified.
1 Corin 10 31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
http://www.shortercatechism.com/resources/wsc/wsc_001.htm
God is good and merciful, worthy to be praised. :  Since God is good and merciful, He must be magnified and rejoiced in.  Mary quickly recognized this need, even though she didn’t understand everything God was doing. God is love; therefore, we can rejoice in Him.  Since He is worthy to be glorified, we must have confidence in His hands.

Times can be difficult.  Our emotions can be loud. Therefore, we must put on our belt of truth... Read His word/ the Bible.   We must  not make decisions based on our feelings and perceptions but on the firm foundation of His word ..the only truth. ( Your feelings, past experiences, and personal perceptions can not be wholly trusted. If you depend on them, you will likely be deceived by the enemy. The devil is a master illusionist. To keep from being fooled, by an enemy that hates you, you must possess an objective standard outside of yourself so he can not keep pulling the wool over your eyes. God's word is that objective standard.) Read His word so you will not be tricked

Comments

  1. "Times can be difficult. Our emotions can be loud. Therefore, we must put on our belt of truth... Read His word/ the Bible..." AMEN!
    Thanks for sharing. There are so many ideas out there of what our purpose is, even to the point of us having no purpose. Praising God that, even in my imperfections, He made a way for us to radiate His perfection. Such a gracious God.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship