Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

Review of Whispers of Hope/ Devotional Prayer book by Beth Moore (Book Give away)

I imagine that I have blogged about Beth Moore a lot when her publishing company contacts me and asks me to review and give away one of her books.   When they asked if I would, even though I have a plate that more than overflows, I said yes.  Why?   Because  Beth Moore helped me fall in love with God's word. I thought I knew who God was and I thought I knew who I was in Christ, but it wasn't until I started reading His word for myself that I truly understood. She has such a passion for others to develop a passion for loving His word and reading it daily.  Why?

 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.  
Hebrews 4:12 

 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God[a] may be complete, equipped for every good work
2 Timothy 3:16-17

We also know that we should pray:
  Look to the Lord and His strength, seek his face always.1 Chronicles 16:11

The LORD is near to all who call on Him, to all who call on Him in truth. Psalm 145:18.

There are many, many more verses about the call to pray, but I will end with this short one:  Pray Continually.  1 Thessalonians 5:17.

So we have the call to pray...the why to pray... now, Beth Moore leads us in the HOW to pray.

She starts her book, Whispers of Hope, by saying that her desire is for you to learn to make prayer a habit because prayer-less lives are powerless lives,and prayerful lives are powerful lives.   Her challenge is for you to spend seventy days in consistent prayer following the format of PRAISE (not because it is a magic formula but because it can help you move through ways to pray).

After you read the Bible section she notes for the day and her comments on that Bible section, you write down your prayers using the PRAISE format. 

P- stands for Praise God's name. Praising Him glorifies His name but it reminds us that He is fully able to do what we ask or think according to His will.

R- stands for Repentance. Each day we need to confess our sins, confess negatives thoughts, wrong motives, a critical spirit, listening to wrong words, etc.



A- is for Acknowledgement. She says we must acknowledge His right to rule & reign in our life every day. We must acknowledge His lordship, for all sin starts with wanting to go our own way and not yield to his authority.




  • I- stands for Intercession: Pray for others.   God tells  us to not only look after our own interest, but look out also for the interest of others. (Philippians 2:4). She makes an interesting comment.  She says we should tell God our problems but don't offer a solution (as if God needs to know how to solve it). :)   God is fully able to analyze the problem and apply the solution that is needed. 


  • S- Supplication for self: She says we must pray for ourselves, not because we are being selfish but because God calls us to love Him, serve Him and be holy...and we NEED His help to do that!  That is a call that no one can do with out His enabling.

  • E- Equipping- We must ask God to equip us to do His will and His calling that day.  We need His empowering ...

  • Finally, she says you should give Thanksgiving at P.R.A.I.S.E .... at every point. Praise Him, thank Him for who he is. Repent, and thank Him there is forgiveness in Him. Acknowledge, Praise Him, Intercede for others, Praise Him. Supplication for yourself, praise Him that He is your help. Equipping- praise Him that He makes you prepared for what HE has called you to do.
  • The book consists of 3 sections: 
    - 70 daily devotionals. a brief bible passage to read.
    - daily prayer guide- P.R.A.I.S.E. 
    - answered prayers. 2 pages in the back to record answered prayers.
  • This Beth Moore book is about knowing your God better as  you record your prayers, and make prayer a daily act, constantly communicating with the one that knows you.
  • It is the coolest thing when you pray and HEAR His voice...It feeds your faith and sustains you during hard times or dry spells.
  • Would you like to have this book and learn to pray without ceasing?  Put your first name in the box (all email addresses are only seen by me) and I will have my son draw a number out of a hat.  If your number is chosen, I will contact you via email to get your address.  (Drawing will be February 2nd, and I will ship the book the next day).

  • Comments

    Post a Comment

    Popular posts from this blog

    Why does God call us sheep?

    Lessons learned the first 50 years

    The call of Fellowship