Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

Grounded (literally... and spiritually)..

I am grounded.  Grounded because I can not run... maybe for as long as 6 months.  I saw an orthopedist and she stated that the fracture in my leg is much worse than the ER doctor thought.  I now have a boot I have to wear... all the time except when I am asleep.    I have to wear this boot and I was told to use crutches, but I was getting bruised ribs from using those. So, my husband rented a scooter that  saves my ribs and is just easier to get around.   That makes life so much easier... cooking, cleaning, living....








I went from this... (below)...











   To this (scooter)....


I have been able to use it to attend church, to go shopping, and even work in the horse-barn.   One of my friends has threatened to get me a teletubby horn. :)    I knew I couldn't do the crutches for 5 more weeks...or more.     So I am grounded... no running until the doctor tells me I can.   All I can do it roll along...with my scooter.

This weekend I was able to go to a one day retreat.  The speaker, Beth Moore, spoke on 2 Kings 4.   I want to write about it so I don't forget the lessons learned. I want to stay spiritually grounded.  Grounded on His promises. Grounded in His character. Grounded in His calling.

Beth Moore taught from 2 Kings 4 in two parts...so I will blog about  it in two parts.

The Widow’s Oil  (2 kings 4: 1-7)

The wife of a man from the company of the prophets cried out to Elisha, “Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that he revered the Lord. But now his creditor is coming to take my two boys as his slaves.”
Elisha replied to her, “How can I help you? Tell me, what do you have in your house?”
“Your servant has nothing there at all,” she said, “except a little oil.”
Elisha said, “Go around and ask all your neighbors for empty jars. Don’t ask for just a few. Then go inside and shut the door behind you and your sons. Pour oil into all the jars, and as each is filled, put it to one side.”
She left him and afterward shut the door behind her and her sons. They brought the jars to her and she kept pouring. When all the jars were full, she said to her son, “Bring me another one.”
But he replied, “There is not a jar left.” Then the oil stopped flowing.
She went and told the man of God, and he said, “Go, sell the oil and pay your debts. You and your sons can live on what is left.” 

Beth Moore during the simulcast (September 15) told us she was going to talk about two kinds of women... both in need.. 
The first woman KNEW she was in deep need.    The 2nd woman didn't KNOW she was in deep need.

She went on to say that God often brings conflict, strife, hardship...to jar us out of our 2nd-hand story.  Meaning ... God uses those hard things to let us know that it isn't all about us.  Life is meant to have an eternal focus..not temporal comforts.  Life is meant to glorify Him... not be about keeping our lives a "smooth as possible".  She said in order to live the life God has called us to...we have to get out of our comfort zone.  She challenged us, "Do you want a humanly explainable life   OR   a supernatural-provisions-from-God life?"  Do we want people to look at our lives and say.. "That can NOT just be them."   She said we need to stop looking at "need" as a negative thing.  Need is our supernatural invitation for God's provision.    She said, "if you have everything you need, you need a bigger life."  She quickly added... "I am NOT talking contentment."  She said she is talking about getting our eyes off of ourselves..and see the NEED all around us.  The need for salvation for friends, relatives.. The need for healing in our marriages.  The need for His wisdom in our parenting.   Etc. 

She said she really thinks  too many believers have a faith problem.  We think Faith is too much trouble.  We just make do...until we die.    She challenged us to not be at "peace with our faithlessness".     She says she has seen  women not ask God..not pray to God because then..they don't risk being disappointed.   We ask Little..... we risk little... we lose little.... but...we live a little life. 

 2 Corinthians 9:8-  And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.   

She challenged us to shoot to be like Peter and John  (Acts 4). Acts 4:13 When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus. 

Don't you want people to note that we have been with Jesus?  She challenged us to not be faithless.  She said we want to be faithful, without the faith.   She said faith involves risk.   We don't want to risk being told no by God... or worse..thinking we are praying to the ceiling.   We don't pray because ..maybe He will say yes.. but then,  He takes it back...and we don't get to keep it.   We don't live with faith because we don't want to be uncomfortable with what He might call us to do.  


Fear is the crippler of a walking, talking miracle.   She said we have to have faith to pray to God, but...HE GETS TO BE SOVEREIGN. We don't get to pray and HE has to answer it a certain way...the way we want..or the way we expect..  It does not work that way.  She said, that's where we trust in His Goodness and His love.     Sometimes He works in VERY mysterious ways......  why would He allow_____________,  why didn't He protect___________, why did He say no to my prayer request of ___________.   Do you have enough security in who is He is when the mystery doesn't end like you thing it should?


She slowly had us walk through 2 kings 4: 1-7. She pointed out how this believer just had her husband die and now her sons were going to be sold into debtor's slavery.  She had nothing left.. no way out.  ...except a little oil.  A little of anything is ENOUGH with God.   Beth Moore also pointed out that Elisha told the woman to ask her neighbors for empty jars and not to ask for just a few.   We need to expect that God will MORE than meet our Spiritual need of the Holy Spirit.   We need to obey the LORD in His calling of what we should do...in order to overflow with the Holy Spirit.  (Pray, read His Word, learn from one another, etc)... We need to NOT settle for just a little spiritual life.    Don't accept just a little....    


Note that the lady had to obey..and go gather the empty jars in order for God to do the miracle.  We want God's blessings without our obedience.  "Heal my marriage..but I will not go to couple's therapy."  " Make me kind, but I will not reach ..out of my comfort zone."   "Give me patience..but don't give me anything to endure."  Proverbs 19: 2-3
It is not good to have zeal without knowledge,
nor to be hasty and miss the way.
3 A man’s own folly ruins his life,
yet his heart rages against the Lord. .....................


(We mess up and then blame him)...

This lady in 2 kings 4 had a huge need... God provided in a miraculous way.  .. What an encouraging story...  

Grounded in His love....even on a scooter,
Rachel


http://blog.lproof.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/The-Great-Forsake-and-Take-Final.pdf     Here is a FREE resource from Beth Moore... Bible Verses to fight FEAR.. 

Comments

  1. "Grounded in His love... even on a scooter." Nice! Amen!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this. I did a search of the Beth Moore simulcast and your blog came up. I was so blessed to read it and know what Beth had to say. Also, I said a little prayer for your leg/scooter situation. I hope you are back to normal soon!

    sincerely,
    Sherry
    asufficientgrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps.. can't wait to read the 2nd part of your blog about the simulcast.

    Blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship