Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

No longer living "on hold"

Oh, for years I lived "on hold"; my life will start when I get the right job, the right man, the right child, the right house, etc. We are often shortsighted and can't extend our vision beyond tomorrow. As Linda Dillow says, "Living only from week to week is like a dot-to-dot life". She goes on to say that a psychologist asked 3000 people "What do you have to live for?" An astounding 94% said they were simply enduring the present while waiting for the future. We seem to be in a waiting mode. This poem was written by a 14 year old boy, yet it holds such much wisdom.

It was spring, but it was summer I wanted; the warm days and the great outdoors.
It was summer but it was fall I wanted; the colorful leaves and the cool dry air.
It was fall but it was winter I wanted; the beautiful snow and the joy of the holiday season.
It was now winter but it was spring I wanted; the warmth and the blossoming of nature.
I was a child but it was adulthood I wanted; the freedom and the respect.
I was twenty but it was thirty I wanted; to be mature and sophisticated.
I was middle-aged but it was twenty I wanted; the youth and the free spirit.
I was retired but it was middle age that I wanted; the presence of mind without limitations.
My life was over but I never got what I wanted.

I used to do this. I used to wish my life away. John-Michael has been a gift in so many ways, but one of the greatest is He has given me the gift of today through John-Michael. Enjoy each day, each tear, each problem, each laugh, each conversation, each stage of life. I will enjoy it because I know today will only last a moment and I can't get it back. I will have an eternal perspective which makes the troubles of today seems so small. I will enjoy the rain and not just long for the sunshine.
Thanking God for the gift of today,
Rachel

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship