Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

Misplaced trust during times of trouble

I think I have a PHD in worry. Don't get me wrong; God has been working on this in me daily for over 3 years....and in a slow and painful process he is helping me to stop trying to help him. (I tend to try to get a Junior-god pin). I also instinctively want to trust myself and my own abilities instead of going to the one who created me. I used to stupidly and full of pride shake my fist at God. It is hard to fathom that I was stupid enough to do that....and do that for years. He has been so gracious and merciful to me.

So, my trust issues with people had spilled over to trust issues with God. I wanted to trust in no one to take care of me...other than myself. However, experience and God's gentle correction, I have learned to trust only in Him. I love how Psalm 25:3 says no one who's hope is in God is put to shame. I love how Psalm 37:25-26 says King David was young and now he is old and he had never seen the righteous forsaken. Those are the things that bring me comfort when I want to revert to old ways.

I also have been thinking about Philippians 2:14...Do everything without complaining. You know, complaining is like whistling for the devil. I Don't want to let Satan still my joy. When we choose to magnify the bad, it appears larger than it really is. However, when we choose to magnify God, we begin to get a clearer picture of reality. With confidence in God's goodness, we can approach life in a healthy balanced way that acknowledges the hearth aches and disappointments of life but still chooses to see God's redemptive power at work.

On a different note, John-Michael now has the dreaded bug that is going around. (Ickiness from front and back). I pray it is just a 24 hour thing like Russ, Noah, and Madeline. I am glad we had Zophran to stop the vomiting, glad he is resting, glad for a washing machine, and glad he likes resting while watching T.V. ..... can you see God's blessings around you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship