Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

How do you know if you have a saving faith?

Our pastor just addressed this questions this past Sunday: How do you know if you have a saving faith?  You can listen to it here: http://www.perimeter.org/index.php?module=pfamily&submodule=content&section=37

  Can anyone KNOW if they have eternal life?  Look at 1 John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so
 that you may know that you have eternal life.
So here are 3 things you must ask yourself...and   (you can't get 2 out of 3... you must say YES to all 3!
1. Do You Love God? (Moral Test- Do you love God most/ wish to serve Him out of a grateful heart?)

1 John 2:1-6
1 My little children, I am writing these things to you that you may not sin. And if anyone

sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;

2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for

those of the whole world.

3 And by this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His

commandments.

4 The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His

commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;

5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this

we know that we are in Him:

6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He

walked.
John 14:15 "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
John 14:21 "He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me; and he

who loves Me shall be loved by My Father, and I will love him, and will disclose

Myself to him."
John 15:8 "By this is My Father glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My

disciples.

2. Do You Love God’s People? (Social Test- Do you desire to be with God's people)

1 John 2:9-11
The one who says he is in the light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until

now.
  10 The one who loves his brother abides in the light and there is no cause for

stumbling in him.

11 But the one who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness,

and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

John 13:34-35
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have

loved you, that you also love one another.

35 "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one

another."
Some of our pastor's key points were:

The cultural anorexic’s militant avoidance of culture is apt to produce a legalism that is

met by an antagonistic world.

The cultural glutton’s ignorant acceptance of culture is met by an apathetic world

The cultural connoisseur’s calculated involvement with culture is met by an attentive

world.

3. Do You Love The Truth? (Doctrinal Test) Do you believe God's word? You can't pick and choose pieces to suit yourself.

1 John 2:22-23
Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the

antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son.

23 Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father; the one who confesses the Son

has the Father also.

John 8:31-32
Jesus therefore was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you abide in

My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;

32 and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship