Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

Things learned-part 2 (Beth Moore's study on James)

So, for about two weeks I have been using Beth Moore's study on the book of James.   Why?   I need the accountability.  How am I getting that?   ..I have to get these weeks work done...because I am leading two groups of women each week, as we go through this study.  That's the same reason my children attend Veritas Classical School each week.  They need to know that their Veritas teacher said that they must complete the work by Tuesday (the one day a week they attend school). 

Anyway, back to James.  James is a book that most believers have read quite a few times.  It was written by Jesus' half-brother.    John 7:5 records James as an unbeliever.  However, by the time we are in Acts (Acts 15:13 to be exact).... we see that not only is James a believer is Jesus as the messiah, but he is the leader of the church in Jerusalem.   Beth points out how Luke 2:40 and Luke 2:52 tell that Jesus grew in wisdom, stature, favor with God and men.    She noted that "You can have a relationship with the most loving, gracious, accepting person on earth and still be jealous of him."   Was this why Jesus wasn't accepted by Messiah by James in the beginning?  Mark 3:21 even states that his brothers (James is in this).. go to take "charge" of  Christ...and tell  people that "he is out of his mind".    Then, Jesus continues his ministry..until he is crucified on the cross.  James had to wonder how did all of that happen.  Then, in 1 Corinthians 15: 4-7 Jesus appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve.  After that, he appeared to more than 500 of the brothers at the same time.... Then he appeared to James.  .."  Just the two of them.        Next, we read  in Acts 9, Galatians 1,  and Acts 12.  It showed how Peter met with James (Jesus' brother) and Paul.     Each came to faith in very different ways..but all because of Jesus!     Each had different ways they preached..  yet they all preached Jesus.   She goes on to say, "Do we think we have a few strikes against our relationsihps with other servants of God?  Do we think the work of God is ONLY accomplished when we're riding tandem with our personal favorites? Do we believe we always have to see it the same to do ministry together?  Has "the kindness and love of God our Savior" not "appeared" to us all (Titus 3:4).  Have we not all denied Him at one time or another?"      She goes on to say:  "We talk as those who believe God is omipotent and omnipresent, but we often act as if He can only work through one person, one methor or one kind of ministry at  a time.   If we don't refuse ourselves the indulgence, we can lapse into the mentality of a spoiled child who thinks that, if God shows you favor, He must hate me."     Later she says, "There is a big, needy world out there, and God's way of reaching it is to enlist every one of us to do our parts in love and humilty, varity and diversity."  
Galatians 5 25 Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives. 26 Let us not become conceited, or provoke one another, or be jealous of one another.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship