Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

Feral to friendly by John-Michael

I have a guest blogger today; my son, John-Michael.  I am so proud that he tries to make the world a better place, a kinder place.  He could easily say that life is too hard to help others, since he has chronic back pain from the tumor that presses on his spine. Yet, for over a year, he has helped with this non profit.... doing what he can.    John-Michael is one of a kind and we are so proud of him.   It is our hope that what we have learned while working with the Feral Cat Program of Georgia will help kittens and people all over the world.


Tips for taming a feral kitten 
Jamilah when we met her
                 

  I’m  John-Michael and I volunteer for a non-profit, The Feral Cat Program of Georgia.  https://www.feralcatprogramofgeorgia.com/

 I am currently working on socializing a feral kitten that I received from a rescue group just a couple of days ago.  Her name is Jamilah, but we call her by a nickname, Jam-EE, like P.J.'s... put on your jammies.  

.  Her 8 weeks of life taught her that humans are evil. She was born at an apartment complex where the people viewed her and other cats as rodents, so the people tried to hunt her and her family in order to exterminate the cats. Since she was so scared when she first arrived we had to pick her up with rawhide gloves and immediately burrito her. (Those who do not know what burrito means, this is when you take a blanket or a towel and gently wrap the kitten in the cloth, snuggled in, but not too tight).   The burrito makes the kitten feel calmer and keeps the people that are holding her safe from her claws.   In order to keep her from hiding from us and to keep us from having to catch her each time we want to work with her, and thus causing her more panic, we keep her in a big portable cloth dog  kennel.   


 Jammie in her soft kennel with her heat pad and teddy bear.
Burrito time and getting brushed

Hand feeding

Holding her inside an extra large pocket

Learning to Playing 


 Feeding while being held

In the kennel, she has a heat pad, a stuffed teddy bear to cuddle with, a litter box, dry Royal Canin kitten food, water, and a few toys.  We have talk radio or the weather channel playing in the background 24/7, so she gets used to hearing human voices and not feeling panicked.

  While she is in her burrito, we pet her head with our hands and brush her with a tooth brush. The tooth brush is said to feel like a cat’s mother grooming her, helping her to see us as a source of comfort. She gave us her first purr within 24 hours of us having her while brushing her with the tooth brush.  We do that 5 to 6 times a day. Also, we only give her canned food while we are holding her.   This helps her associate people with good food, snuggles, and lots of love.  

 Three days into working with her, she has now graduated to playing on my bed.   This allows her to get energy out and learn to play.  She will look forward to seeing people because they have cool things called kitten toys.  When you work on taming a feral kitten, remember they will hiss and possibly scratch. They might even bite out of fear.  

Persevere.  Don’t give up.  You are giving the kitten the chance to having a loving human friend, inside, away from predators, cars, and so forth.   It is not a easy task.  Every kitten is different; some kittens tame very easily in little as one day. The older the kitten the more time it will take…  possibly months. Please remember that cats are not dogs.  Do not treat them like dogs. Also, make sure that you have a stuffed animal handy, because when kittens play, they naturally play bite and bunny kick (kick here back legs) other kittens…. It is natural, normal kitten play.    If they start to play with you this way, you can quickly  switch your hand out with the  stuffed animal.  I hope this helps you save and transform a kitten from feral to friendly.  
Jammie learning to play


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship