Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

Does God work all things for good?


He promises to always be good to me, for God is always good!  Promises about the Love of God - But God demonstrates His own Love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Rom.5:8) J
The goodness of God is found throughout the Bible.  His goodness is a promise we, His children, can stand upon.
Psalm 27: 13- 14 13 I remain confident of this:  I will see the goodness of the Lord   in the land of the living. 14 Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart   and wait for the Lord.        Land of the living- enjoy the tokens of the divine favor here upon the earth.
The prophet Jeremiah witnessed unthinkable horrors when the Babylonians invaded Jerusalem in 586 BC. Solomon’s temple was reduced to rubble.  With its destruction, the people loss their place of worship as well as the center of the Jewish community. . Ultimately, His people were left with no food, no rest, and no peace. But in the midst of anguish and grief, one of their prophets, Jeremiah, found a reason for hope. “Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness”  (Lamentations 3).

Jeremiah’s hope came from his personal experience of the Lord’s faithfulness and from his knowledge of God’s promises in the past. Without these, he would have been unable to comfort his people.  That’s what we must do when we are faced with difficult, hard, hurtful circumstances…we must remember His past faithfulness to face present circumstances with hope.

Lamentations 3  declares   20 My soul still remembers  And sinks within me.  21 This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope.  22 Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. 23 They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. 24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I hope in Him!” 25 The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, To the soul who seeks Him. 26 It is good that one should hope and wait quietly For the salvation of the Lord.
From these verses, we see reason to rest in God’s character,  for we clearly see His mercy and compassion (v.22), faithfulness (v.23), goodness (v.25), and salvation (v.26).  That’s why we can have hope in the midst of hard time…


His goodness may not be immediately obvious…wait on Him. Remember, the Lord is good to those who wait for Him ( Lamentations 3: 25)    Lamentations 3 reminds us that “the steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end” (v.22) and that God is faithful to the end even when everything seems to be falling apart. This means that in the midst of our pain, even though we may be lonely, we  truly are not alone. And though we may not feel His presence, He is there as our trusted companion who will never walk away and let us down!
Yet, we might still ask…….Why, if God is good to me, does He allow pain into my life?  One, we live in a broken world with consequences because of that.. Two, God wants us to long for HEAVEN, our real home, not earth, our temporary one…. Three,  God desires the best for us which means a constant communication with Him.
This can been seen in an explanation of the daily manna in Exodus 16.  One asked the Rabbi,  “Why did not the Lord furnish enough manna to Israel for a year all at one time?” The teacher said, “I will answer you with a parable. Once there was a king who had a son to whom he gave a yearly allowance, paying him the entire sum on the fixed date. It soon happened that the day on which the allowance was due was the only day of the year when the father ever saw his son.  Therefore, the king changed his plan and gave his son day by day enough money , money that was just sufficient for that day.  Consequently, the son visited his father every morning. How he needed his father’s unbroken love, companionship, wisdom and giving! Therefore, God dealt with Israel and deals with us.”
  “And we know that for those who love God, all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose  “ Romans 8: 28 
This is a verse most of us know very well.    “And We know”,  that’s our firm faith…    Firm faith to get through what we do NOT know.  But what is the good?

One can have a clearer picture of "good" by asking…

Is Paul saying, "Whatever happens is good."    No.
Is he saying that suffering and evil and tragedy are good?    No.
Is he saying everything will work out if we just have enough faith?    No.
Is he saying that we will be able to understand why God allowed tragedy to come?    No.

What, then, is Paul trying to tell us?  Paul is trying to remind us that when we reach the unexplained mysteries of life, we need to erect a sign in our minds which states, "Quiet. God at work."      How is He at work? We're not always sure, for we will never understand everything as HE does, for we aren’t all knowing as He is.    To what end is He working it? Good, and not evil. That's what Romans 8:  28 is declaring… Our danger is  not to judge what we cannot see by what we can see. That is, when tragedy strikes, if we can't see a purpose, we assume there isn't one. Yet, God’s word declares that is NOT true!
We know Romans 8:28-30 is true because His word is trustworthy and that guarantees His promise. Indeed, His character rests upon it. We know because we know Him. We know not by looking at the events that happen in our lives, but by knowing our loving Heavenly Father.    Yet, there are so many things we don't know and will not know.  Why did I miscarry two babies? Why did God knit a random genetic disorder into one of my children?  Why did He allow certain heartbreaks that I still don’t see Good from?      We don't know why babies die or why cars wreck or   or why families break up or why good people get sick and suddenly die. But this we know—God is at work and He has not forgotten us.    If all things work together for good (all events, all circumstances, all trials, all happenings, etc.), then it follows that God must be over all things and must control all things. This is not fearful fatalism. This is the wonderful fact that an all-wise, all-loving, just God is in complete control of all things!

The good news is not that God will make our circumstances come out the way we like, but that God can weave even our disappointments and disasters into His eternal plan. The evil that happens to us can be transformed into God's good .Romans 8:28 is God's guarantee that if we love God, our lives can be used to achieve His purposes and further His kingdom.

 I had loss, but had the blessing of adopting this sweet one
year old from Siberia....   Almost 16 years later, see what a beauty she has become.


 She recently gave her life to Christ, and was baptized.

  My son, he has had several surgeries and finds out next week, (May 9th) if he will need yet another.  Yet, I am so, very, very thankful for the blessing he is to me and all who know Him.  It has not been easy, but it has been good.  It does NOT mean all of my questions have been answered, but  I am able to rest in His goodness

More to dwell upon:
Jeremiah  29: 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
Deut.7:9 "Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands."

Isaiah 54:10 Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be moved, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed." 
His goodness is a refuge. Nahum 1;7 The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble.  He knows those who take refuge in Him.
Jeremiah 31:3 I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness."
Proverbs 8:17 " I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me."
1 Cor. 2:9 "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him." Isaiah 30:18 "...the Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him! "
Psalm 103:13" As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship