Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

Stones..revisited...

When life feels rocky, I again have to remind myself  to look for the stones God has placed in my life. You see, in Joshua 4,  12 men placed 12 stones..to remember how God had brought them into the promised land. Moses and the others of the former generation had chosen not to trust in God..and to disobey. Joshua choose to be strong and courageous. ..   Joshua  trusted God.... even when it didn't make sense. In Joshua 1, God tells Joshua and the others..that He was taking them into the promise land. .      God tells them that they will take the land from the Hittites. (This is one bad, scary people). Joshua had reason not to" be strong and courageous". But....he obeyed because he knew God was strong and loving (Psalm 62). They placed those 12 stones so they could remember a time when they KNEW God was with them...and remembered HIS faithfulness and their own obedience...and willingness to trust...even in a scary situation.

Friday ..while I was out running alone, I was listening to David Crowder Band's song.. Oh, How He Loves..
 The lyrics go like this:
He is jealous for me, 

Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree, 
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden, 
I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory, 
And I realise just how beautiful You are, 
And how great Your affections are for me.
And oh, how He loves us so, 
Oh how He loves us,

I was just overwhelmed with emotions. I wanted to KNOW that He loves ME.. I wanted to KNOW that He is jealous for me.  I prayed that He would just reveal His love to me. Struggling with hard things..... Then, I finished my run... and went about the chores of the day.   I went to Learning Things to buy some things I needed for the school year and looked for a "rock collection" that John-Michael has asked me to buy for him for several months.  I have looked for a rock collection at Target, Walmart, etc.  They just haven't had a rock/science kit.  I thought .."Here is my chance... Learning Things has to have it..after all it is a warehouse full of school materials".   I looked... and looked again. No rocks.   With a sigh, I yielded to defeat.... to the fact that I would likely have to order it online.     Yesterday (Saturday)  we had to take the van in to have some minor repairs so I went to take out the things in the trunk.  I had some frames that I had purchased for some paintings I had completed, some old mucking boots, a few cloth bags (for groceries)..and then, I noticed something I had not noticed before.  Three weeks ago, I picked up some school supplies from a friend who teaches at Perimeter School, Liz.  She often gives me their old supplies that they are going to just throw away.   A few weeks ago, she gave me some 2nd grade Science books, a couple of globes, a few reading books, etc.    Now, I noticed a paper Macy's bag that I had not noticed before.  I bring it into the house (figuring this had to be a bag of supplies from the stuff that Liz gave me). ..   As I open the bag, this is what I find on top. ... Rocks!!! Rocks for John-Michael.  I immediately realized this was God's love gift to me.



So now I have another "stone" story for the times when I NEED to  look back to the "stones" in my own life...the times I can CLEARLY see God's hands...  Those times will help me trust when I can't clearly see God's hands. The stones from the past remind me of His Goodness....that He will never leave me or forsake me.

It is so reassuring when you can see God's fingerprints on your life. You know He is working, but you can't always see it. You know He sees you, but you can't always see Him. You know that He loves, but you can't always feel this love. That's when you have to remember to look for the stones.

Psalm 61.

1 Hear my cry, O God;
listen to my prayer.
2 From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.


Comments

  1. That is such a neat illustration. He always cares. Always

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a large round stone that I brought from NY when we moved here, as a reminder to me that God provides.Very neat story. I love how God reveals those little things to His children. Little insights into how He is moving daily in our lives. The sad thing is when we get too consumed with other things to notice them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship