Lessons learned the first 50 years

Image
I hit a milestone. I turned 50 years old. I am thankful that I don't feel 50.   I am thankful for things God has taught me throughout those 50 years. .  I have learned that God loves mercy and when I feel a sense that justice needs to happen over mercy, all I need to do is remember that I am thankful for when God gives me mercy instead of a just punishment.   (Micah 6:8 8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.) ( Luke 6: 36  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. ) I have learned that hurt people end up hurting people.   When I am able to see that I didn't hurt them but I am bearing the results of that persons hurt inflicted by other people, it helps me forgive whatever hurt they pushed onto me and move on.  (Romans 12 : 18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. )  I have learned that anyone who thinks they have God

Thank Goodness I can count on Metamorphosis...


I think we all have days that we wish we could redo. I had one of those this week. Madeline, my daughter who is almost 10, was swinging outside with my 6 /12, year old son, John-Michael. John-Michael is my son that has NF, a tumor disorder. I am overly motherly, overly protective with him because he is the baby and because of his health. This is one thing that I have to be aware of as I parent him. I know it isn't' good for him and I have to make myself not baby him to death. Anyway, they were swinging in our backyard together and John-Michael had decided to swing with a 2 foot long stick. Well, I don't know if you all let your kids swing with sticks, but I don't even like them playing with sticks. I am forever saying, "put that thing down." She didn't alert him to the danger and tell him to put it down. John-Michael didn't remember those many, many conversations that I have had with them about sticks. He comes in crying....he has scraped himself with a stick while swinging. It did NOT go through the skin, but left a nasty scrape. Instantly, the scenario of how bad this could have been went through my head, and I rocketed into anger at both kids, but mostly with Madeline, my 10 year old, who did remember the rule, and decided not to be bossy that day. Thank goodness my husband was home so even though I ranted to him and I am certain Russell thought I had lost my mind (and I had).... Madeline was safe from my anger. But....I boiled.....for a good 24 hours. I know that wasn't' from the Lord, but I didn't know how to cut that anger off. It was exasperated by her bad attitude and culminated with her and a friend flying off her stuff animals from her bedroom ceiling fan during bible study last night. I just told her to go to bed, and told the friend to join the other kids in the basement, but again... so angry. There...if you are new to my blog...that is where Satan gets me ...over and over again. I get angry (usually takes a lot to get me there, but when I go, it isn't pretty)...and then, I feel that I am hopeless. I know that is a lie, so I have to go back to what God tells me. He says in 1 Peter 5:8-9 says...8Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. So, I have to make an effort...I have to resist him and stand firm in my faith, in what God tells me. He isn't done with me. He is transforming me to look like Jesus. That word "transformed" is literally metamorpho. To get beautiful, that caterpillar has to struuuuggglllleee out of the cocoon to become a butterfly. Part of the struggle is what makes it beautiful. 2 Romans 12:2 says ...Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed (metamorpho) by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. The word metamorpho is used again when God said in 2 Corinthians 3:18...18And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect[a] the Lord's glory, are being "metamorpho" (transformed) into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. Thank goodness I can rely on HIS goodness not to be done with me and not to give up on me.

Comments

  1. This is the study I've been focused on lately with the key verses being 2 Cor 3:18, Romans 12:2 and Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration. In the Greek the word for transformed and transfigured is "metamorphosis". Providentially, I found a Chip Ingram teaching series around the whole object lesson of metamorphosis and spiritual formation. This is the lesson I taught in Tanzania, and we gave all the pastors handouts with the title Growing in Christ and the lifestage of the butterfly! What a mighty God we serve! He changes us from the inside out. I still plan to work up a teaching on the subject, Lord willing. The part He's shown me is that with emotional baggage the pupa can get stuck in the cocoon for a long time. The pupa needs to invite a few friends in, including the Holy Spirit to sort through things so that freedom can come. Gal 5:1

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so easy to be hard on yourself! I loved your idea of metamorphosis! It reminds me of the Scripture that says when we see him we will be like him. All of our challenges and weaknesses are a part of making us more like him if we allow them. I can see you are allowing them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by Brenda..and for the encouraging words. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why does God call us sheep?

Lessons learned the first 50 years

The call of Fellowship